The Guardian reports:
Man arrested over Twitter threats to female MP and campaigner.
Police investigating threats to Stella Creasy and Caroline Criado-Perez say 32-year-old is being held in Bristol.
Some quick notes:
- Let us affirm that sending direct threats of violence to people is against the law. Arresting and charging such people is not an affront to free expression.
- In fact, the threats are themselves an act of censorship. They instill fear in the recipient, who may withdraw from the discourse.
- This arrest is in keeping with the Director of Public Prosecutions recent guidelines on dealing with social media messages. The guidelines recommend that direct threats and harassment should be proecuted ‘robustly’. Expect this chap in Bristol to be charged.
- Note that the police managed to track down this chap using existing powers and technical abilities.
- It is interesting that the man arrested is 32 years old. All the other arrests and convictions were of much younger men. Reece Messer (who trolled Tom Daley) was only 17.